Recognizing the strong link between health and learning, MAISD health and wellness consultation and related support services aim to support schools in the implementation of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model including supporting a comprehensive PreK-12 health education curriculum, student health behavior data and analysis, assessment of the school health environment to support the whole child, and adequate access to health services including behavioral health.
- To improve the overall health status of adolescents and children in Michigan resulting in healthy students who are ready and able to learn and become healthy, educated and productive adults.
Examples of Service:
- Professional development and technical assistance for the Michigan Model for Health (MMH) curriculum and other health education related content
- Support the collection of health related data, including the Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth (MiPHY) and the Healthy School Action Tools (HSAT)
- Communicate and provide resources regarding:
- Michigan school code mandates specific to health education, reproductive health, teacher qualifications, etc.
- Health education funding and program opportunities
- Current legislation, state and national policies, health education resources, and issues that impact students and schools
- Establishing and maintaining active sex education advisory boards by providing resources
- Medicaid outreach
- Individual or group classroom teachers (grade level, department, etc.)
- Non-teacher support staff
- School building or district administrator
- School building or district leadership team
- Entire school building or district
- Facilitation of a meeting (more than 1 other person)
- Providing or leading training on a specific topic (conducting a workshop)
- Observation in a classroom
- Modeling instructional practices in the classroom
- Working directly with administrators or building leadership teams
- Being an attendee (content expert) at a meeting (not facilitating)
- Planning with a teacher(s) (1-1 or group)
- Analyzing data with a teacher(s) or leadership team (1-1 or group)
- Cognitive coaching (feedback)
- Advising/recommending a course of action
- Coordinating an event, activity, or collaboration
- Curriculum specialists
- Elementary and secondary principals
- School-based health program staff
- School improvement teams
- Wellness committees
Additional resources are provided via email request. To make a request via email, please use the HELP button.